Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bad Posture

3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,
6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,
7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. (Phil 2)

This passage sprang to mind not long after a brief discussion with some friends this afternoon. We were discussing churches -which one to go to, which one not to go to. They mentioned they were checking out a Calvary Chapel. My initial reaction was to roll my eyes and make a sour face. The idea of going to Calvary Chapel seemed almost unthinkable. Why? Well, because I know all about them -so I think. And to be honest, I probably do have a good idea where the church falls doctrinally. I have read some articles and papers stating the Calvary Chapel position on various topics. Its not really the point, though. Shortly after walking away from them, I felt the sting of guilt.

I saw myself in the mirror at that moment, and I did not like what I saw. I saw a man puffed up with pride -placing himself above others. Sure, maybe I am right about some doctrines where they are very wrong, but is that reason to exalt myself above them, or it is reason to, as Christ did, humbly go amonst them and minister the truth to them in love? It is clearly the latter -especially given that any truth that I hold dear has been given to me by grace and ushered through my sin-sick, sin-blinded soul and into my heart by the Spirit of God.

Oh, if Christ were to even in part act with the wickedness I harbored in my heart today, I would have absolutely no hope. For imagine the Lord Christ judging me for any reason whatsoever! I would be utterly destroyed, for there is no shortage of reasons for judgment within me -of that I know. Amazing how one who has received so much grace and mercy can turn around and scrutinize and condemn others in return.

To sum up: its ok to disagree, and even to think they are way off or even heretical, but it must be so with a posture of humility and service. The fact that someone teaches something unBiblical does not excuse us from being ministers of grace. Praise God for His grace toward us in Christ Jesus!

1 comment:

DAO said...

another nugget for my soul.
Thanks Tim.
D