Friday, February 18, 2005

"Look to Me!"

Here is a quote from a sermon I was reading by Charles Spurgeon:

How frequently you who are coming to Christ look to yourselves. "O!"you say, "I do not repent enough." That is looking to yourself. "I do not believe enough." That is looking to yourself. "I am too unworthy." That is looking to yourself. "I cannot discover," says another, "that I have any righteousness." It is quite right to say that you have not any righteousness; but it is quite wrong to look for any. It is, "Look unto me." God will have you turn your eye off yourself and look unto him. The hardest thing in the world is to turna man's eye off himself; as long as he lives, he always has a predilection to turn his eyes inside, and look at himself; whereas God says, "Look unto me." From the cross of Calvary, where the bleeding hands of Jesus drop mercy; from the Garden of Gethsemane, where the bleeding pores of the Saviour sweat pardons, the cry comes,"Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth." From Calvary's summit, where Jesus cries, "It is finished," I hear a shout, "Look, and be saved." (Charles H. Spurgeon, sermon No. 60, Isa 52:22)

I don't know what I can add to such eloquence. I know first-hand the battle that wages within each of us to look to ourselves rather than looking to Christ alone. It disguises itself. It doesn't use words like "righteousness" or "worthiness". Satan is far too crafty. It comes masquerading as things that are in line with the truth but warped in such a small way as to make it nearly indistinguishable from the truth of the Gospel and yet bind our souls to anguish and misery -or blind them in self-righteousness! Yes, the Word of God commands repentance... yet is it repentance that saves? No. Yes, the Word commands us to believe... yet believing does not save either. How our fleshly mind loves to play word games to find a foothold for self-righteousness! Praise God for the Author and Finisher of our salvation, who simply calls the dead to life in saying, "Look unto Me, and be ye saved!"

No comments: