Friday, June 02, 2006

Resources on Roman Catholicism from a Classical Protestant Perspective: Part 1

I promised an anonymous commentor that I would post a list of some good resources. Sorry I have been so slack. It has been busy here.

I will post some articles below, but if you are interested in getting books, you may find the following helpful:

1. The God Who Justifies by James R. White (ISBN: 0764222880) This is not really a book against Roman Catholicism. It is really a modern treatment of the doctrine of justification. Thus, he doesn't spend a lot of time answering too many objections, but he does spend a lot of time in the text of Scripture. (Amazon link)

2. Evangelical Answers by Eric D. Svendsen I have not read this one, personally, nor have I read the next two, but I have heard they are excellent, and I have heard pretty much the same material via their web-casts and mp3's and articles.

3. The Roman Catholic Controversy by James R. White

4. Upon This Slippery Rock by Eric D. Svendsen


You will notice that a number of resources will be by Dr. White. I appreciate Dr. White's stuff, even though some RC apologists really don't like him (I think that is more because he has answers to their arguments), because he always tries to represent the other side (JW's, Mormonism, Islam, RC, you name it) as fairly and honestly as possible -using first-hand sources and trying to understand what is truly being asserted. I also like his stuff because he is skilled at exegeting the text of Scripture and very knowledgeable in the original Biblical languages and Church history. The other guy, Eric Svendsen, is also really good. He has a lot of knowledge of Patristic sources and Church history, as well. You may or may not be familiar with both of these guys. If you are familiar with them, then I just pray that if any bias exists against them you would put it aside long enough to consider what they have to say.

Here are a few articles, some by Dr. White, and others by William Webster:

- An article on the concept of "Living Tradition" - William Webster
- A compilation of Patristic exegesis of Matthew 16:18 - William Webster
- More on the Church Fathers and Matthew 16:18 - William Webster
- A Biblical and Historical look at Penance and Confession - William Webster
- Two articles on Sola Scriptura (First, Second) - William Webster
- Justification: Biblical teaching, Roman teaching - William Webster
- Ecumenical Council condemns a Pope for heresy - William Webster
- Decent overview of Roman Catholic Dogmas - William Webster
- Citations from Roman Catholic sources that do anything but clarify the Gospel - James White
- Circular reasoning among RC's for Petrine primacy - James White
- RC apologists and John 6 - James White
- Some reflectioins on Hebrews 10 and the sacrifice of the Mass - James White
- "monarchial episcopate" in the early church? An examination of some RC apologist arguments - James White
- The use of the Greek subjunctive in a "hina clause" which shows purpose, not possibility, in response to the erroneous claim of Tim Staples, an RC apologist - Colin Smith
- Jesus, Peter, and the Keys. A summary response - James White
- "Upon this Rock" - James White
- The empty hand of faith, electronic tract - James White


I hope this is a good start! I would put some more, but I have been swamped lately. I am in the middle of studying the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses to try to demostrate to a family-member how erroneous their views of Christ and their New World Translation truly are. :)

5 comments:

DAO said...

great resources bro, thanks
hope all is well with the Mc's
DAO

Bob Waters said...

Try Justification and Rome, by Robert Preus (Concordia.

JP Manzi said...

The reason why many Catholics do not like Mr. White is because he comes across smug, a man with all the answers already figured out and a man who doesnt want to listen but win debates.....that, at least, is how he comes across.

Tim said...

I can respect and see how Dr. White might be viewed that way, and I personally wish, at times, that he would avoid getting into the drama on his blog, but I must also say that he is a scholar in that he does his research well, he researches the other side well, he focuses on interacting with the text of Scripture, and he interacts with the opposing arguments without misrepresenting them.

In the debates I have heard with him, I have not yet heard him be anything but professional, even cordial, with those whom he debates. I'm not really sure what you mean about not listening, though I know others seem to say that. I have also heard others comment about him thinking he is right... of course he thinks he is right -or more importantly, that the Scriptures teach the view he defends. Who would hold to and publicly defend a position they think is wrong and the Bible doesn't teach? Both sides are there because they think they have the answer.

Anyway, I appreciate the comment. I recommend his resources because they are Biblically saturated and interact with Scripture and the arguments of those who oppose his views. One may not like his conclusions, but he at least attempts to interact and does so, in what I have seen, fairly.

From my experience in reading apologetic materials, these qualities are not always in great supply. Being a Calvinist, I have seen a number of articles and materials which horribly misrepresented what I believe. Even though the Christian authors I consider to be fellow brothers in Christ, I must say that such experiences make me shy away from their materials on other subjects. My feeling is that... well if they had no problems not doing their homework with their fellow-brothers, why should their scholarship be trustworthy with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses? It may very well be trustworthy, but I would rather not find out the hard way that it isn't.

From what I have seen, White, Svendsen, and Webster are among those who do not fall into that category. :)

Anonymous said...

thanks, i'm the commenter who asked. i've been without internet for months, just now checking your site. i read most of the books you listed before.

thank you :)