Sunday, December 04, 2011

Immortals

Yesterday I went and saw the film "Immortals."  I had been excited to see this movie since I first saw the trailer months ago. 

I'm not going to waste time trying to review it.  I just want to note a few things that caught my attention.

One of the main themes was that of faithlessness versus faith.  Theseus, the hero of the story, grew into a strong, capable, but faithless young man.  He thought the stories of "the gods" were just made up fables, though his beloved mother was a woman of "faith."  This skepticism turned to full-blown bitterness when he saw his mother brutally slain.  Where were her gods then?  Why did they not help her?

This skepticism, it seems, permeated the Greek culture.  Even the king at Tartarus shared Theseus once-held skepticism (though by then, Theseus was a firm believer in the existence and power of the gods).

And then there was the evil king, Hyperion.  Hyperion also shared the faithlessness of the others.  His was much like the burning, bitter faithlessness of Theseus after seeing his mother slain.  It was not so much an unbelief in the existence of the gods as it was a hardened, hate-filled resistance toward them rooted in deep pain.  See Hyperion, in earlier years, saw his entire family killed.  And yet the gods did nothing.  Therefore, to Hyperion the gods were heartless and indifferent to the cries of those who called out to them for help and mercy.  They needed to be overthrown.  Hyperion's solution was to wage war on the human race and to unleash the Titans, who would crush the gods and punish them once and for all.  Hyperion intended to win, to conquer those who failed him, and to bring his own kind of bloody justice to the world.

I admit that I have roots of Hyperion in me.  There are some things I have been suffering with for so long, and there are things that seem to have no end in sight -every road before me seems endless and hopeless.  Where is God?  Unlike the "gods" of the movie, God has no rules to obey.  The gods of the Immortals film were bound by certain "laws" -for one, they were not allowed to interfere in the affairs of men (though they did).  But God is bound to no such thing.  The God of the universe is sovereign and wise.  So why, O God, does Your Word call you an "ever present help in the day of trouble" and yet when I cry to you for years it seems that the heavens are utterly silent and no help comes?  Have you cast me away?  Do you not care?  Or do you just not exist?  I do not merely whine for You to change my circumstances -I beg for you to give me what I need inside to bear it differently, to not live in torture within.  And yet... where are You?

I know the theological answers.  I know that having "faith" requires trusting in God's choice to deal with my cries in the way He so chooses.  But it just doesn't help.  I'm sick of suffering.

No comments: