Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fred Rogers Acceptance Speech

Apparently, today is Mr. Rogers' birthday.  Derek Webb shared this short video on Facebook, naming Fred Rogers as one of his "heroes."  I agree.



This short little speech brings to mind so much. 

Remember those who love and have loved you, who poured themselves into you, who helped shape who and where you are today.  You remember the ones.  They were the ones who touched your soul, who saw you, not merely the ones who gave you lots of things.  Remember what it was like to be that open, that un-self-conscious, that child-like, that un-defended, that connectable to be able to share partnership without even knowing what it was called.

This reminds me of the kind of person I want to be.  I want to be able to give that to others, to make an impact where it matters, to be able to connect with others and have it make a lasting and positive impact on them.  I want those closest to me to remember me as being close to them, as being able to love and receive love without restraint and without regret.

No comments: