Friday, November 01, 2013

Everyone Has Their Own Story

There is a particular person that is in my life without my choice.  Though I never have to deal with this person directly, they are always a part of my life in some way, and I really wish they weren't.  They took a great deal from me, and their presence haunts me in ways.  It bothers me to see them receive accolades and praise and attention, both from people I love and from the greater population of humanity.  To me, they are no hero.  Not all, but many of their present hardships are the result of their own choices, choices which also hurt me deeply and changed my life.

The words of Tim Keller came to mind the other day (paraphrase): "Receive whatever [or whoever] God sends into your life, whether you understand it or not."

When I read those words, I felt myself sink into a kind of reluctant humility.  "Yes, Lord."  But that is not the end of the story.  That is not all there is to it.

See, I have my own story.  It is not their story.  It is mine.  It is filled with all the good and the bad of my life.  It is filled with all the struggles but also all the endurance and overcoming.  My struggles are not as obvious and plain as this person's, but they are real.  They are just as real.  And they can be my victories, as well.  My battles are not published for others to see, but they are indeed battles, to be daily won or lost.  They can be my occasions to celebrate, and for those out there who actually care, they can be the occasion for others to celebrate with me.  Everybody has something they are battling.  Everybody has their own story.  May my pain not distract me in unhealthy ways towards anyone else' story so that I forget my own.

No comments: